Dalton! Georgia
  • Dalton

Civil War History

The Dalton Depot

The Dalton Depot was part of the W & A Railroad was created by the Georgia Legislature in 1836 and work began on it the same year. In 1850 the first train passed through Dalton on its way from Atlanta to Chattanooga. Atlanta’s Depot, built in 1853, was destroyed in the burning of Atlanta, as dramatically depicted in “Gone With The Wind.” Also destroyed were the depots in Marietta, Acworth, Etowah, Cartersville, and other stops on the line. The Dalton depot building was only slightly damaged and quickly repaired. 

 The City of Dalton purchased the property, located at the east end of King Street, in 1978. The steel center marker for the original surveying of the City of Dalton is still inside the depot. Captain Edward White, the founder of Dalton had the foresight to recognize its developmental potential and today Dalton is known as “ The Carpet Capital of the World.”

 The Depot stands faithfully complete in its original architectural state. In the careful restoration of this landmark, all modifications have been fitted to the original building, without destroying the fabric of the past. The restoration took almost a year and one million dollars to complete in 1990.

The Western and Atlantic Railroad Tunnel at Tunnel Hill

The Western and Atlantic railroad ensured that Dalton would be a critical point in the Civil War. As such, traces of the war still remain today with Dalton having the highest collection of Civil War memorabilia and serving as host for an annual reenactment. Throughout the city and surrounding area are several historic locations, including houses, battlefields, and railroad depots. Make a day trip or weekend visit to experience American History firsthand.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tunnel Hill

Engineered in the 1800s, Tunnel Hill was the site of one of the many skirmishes during the Civil War and one of the oldest railroad tunnels south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Clisby Austin House, cir. 1850, still stands nearby, with reenactments of the Battle of Tunnel Hill taking place each September.
M - Sat 9 am – 5 pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Prater’s Mill

Built by Benjamin Franklin Prater in 1855, the water powered mill was originally fitted with the latest in grain cleaning, grinding and sifting machinery, all powered by the Coahulla Creek. The grounds host the Prater's Mill Country Fair every October! Fishing is permitted in Coahulla Creek. A nature trail provides a walkthrough of the area, and with a donation, the grounds can be reserved for private use.

Dug Gap Battlefield Breastworks

These breastworks were built by Civil War soldiers during the Atlanta Campaign and feature a scenic view from the top of Dug Gap Mountain hiking trail that overlooks the Dalton area as well as the Georgia mountains.

W. Dug Gap Battle Rd., Dalton, GA 30720 
800.331.3258 or 706.278.0217
Open daylight hours

 

Hamilton House

The oldest brick home in Dalton, Hamilton House was built by John Hamilton around 1840. During the winter of 1863, when Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and the Army of Tennessee occupied Dalton, Brig. Gen. J.H. Lewis headquartered here. His tent near the Spring House was the location where battle strategy was discussed and implemented. Guided tours offer an in-depth look at the history behind the house.

701 Chattanooga Ave., Dalton, Ga. 30720
Open Th - Sat 10 am – 4 pm or by appointment
Small Admission for Guided Tours

 

Confederate Memorial Wall

This cemetery has 421 Confederate and four "unknown" Union soldiers. The recently discovered names of the Confederates are engraved on the Memorial Wall.

Corner of West Cuyler St. and Lynn Streets, Dalton, GA 30720 

 

General Joseph Johnston Statue

This is the only outdoor statue of General Joseph E. Johnston, who commanded the Army of Tennessee during the Atlanta Campaign December 1863 - July 1864. It is located in downtown Dalton on the corner of Hamilton and Crawford Streets.

Corner of Hamilton and Crawford Streets, Dalton, GA 30720

 

Blunt House

An 1848 home of Dalton's first mayor, postmaster and religious leader, the Blunt House is on the National Register of Historic Places. It was the first two-story house built in Dalton.

506 S. Thornton Ave., Dalton, GA 30720
706.278.0217
Th - Sat 10 am - 4 pm and by appointment
Small Admission for Guided Tours